Hydroelectric Power Plant - Reference

Show your Electrical power plant innovations and water supply solutions. Waste Disposal welcome too.

Moderator: Plugin Moderators

Would it be better if it is built W/ partial land requirement or built only in water but needs road

Poll ended at 01 Nov 2017, 03:21

Built with Partial Land requirement
67%
Built on water but needs road
25%
Built on water with lands beyond 6x6 and ignore the 1x pixel water line
8%
Other suggestion (please comment your suggestion)
No votes

Total votes: 12

22Alpha
Inhabitant of a Conurbation
Reactions:

Platform

Hydroelectric Power Plant - Reference

Post by 22Alpha »

With the help of @mdk_813 , we now have two versions of hydroelectric power plant! We now have red railings and gray railings.

> red
> gray

You guys now have an option which to have.

We started from here:
Hydroelectric Power plant.png
Hydroelectric Power plant.png (2.93 KiB) Viewed 13508 times
You have options on how you want to put the Hydroelectric power plant:

1. If your water body is going narrow from 6x6 mouth to 2x2 outlet.
2. If your water body just flowed on the normal set of tile from 6x6 to 4x4.

We are now on the next step after the origin, the designs are improving. The Supply System (formerly The Power System project) is now officially released.

Thank you very much for the help and suggestions!

:bc

This thread is for reference purposes now. But you can download it here: http://www.theotown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=4852

Thank you very much!
Last edited by 22Alpha on 15 Nov 2017, 07:54, edited 8 times in total.

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store

Platform

Re: Hydroelectric Power Plant (Beta Design)

Post by mdk_813 »

Uhh, that is quite an ambitious project you've gotten yourself into there...
So far, it looks really nice. It certainly has a lot of potential :thumbsup:

On the designing part: You definitely need to get rid of the outlines and add some texture to it. Maybe select a more yellowish concrete color instead of the neutral grey.

On the conceptual part:
You want it to become a functional power station, right?
Then you could for example make it a 7x7-tile (ideally rotation aware), that sits on land but that has about a 5x7 water texture on it so that it blends in with a stream of water. You would have to set "draw ground" true, then. It would be all about creating the illusion that the dam is actually a part of the stream.
Or you could break it up into smaller tiles maybe 2x2, with centerpieces, that are build on water, and endpieces, that are build on land (this would work similarly to my seawall set, and it would have the advantage that players could make their dam as large as they want). All of these pieces would have to be rotation aware in that case. For the endpieces you would also have to take care that they blend nicely into the ingame shoreline. These endpieces would need "draw ground" as well in order to prevent the ingame seawalls from appearing.
One of the pieces (probably one of the centerpieces) could then probably be made functional so that it actually produces power.

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

I'll see which would be applicable, but, I'm leaning on the separating land and water designs which allows longer or shorter designs. Thank you.

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

Right now I'm using Piskel on a netbook, and I am always bothered that I couldn't make a ------ straight line. Every beta plugin that was made is evident that it has a flawed lining.

Since this netbook is probably not capable of photoshop, can you guys give out some recommended software for graphic making? Thanks!
Last edited by 22Alpha on 26 Oct 2017, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

Thanks you! I'll try paint.net

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

mdk_813 wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 04:31
Uhh, that is quite an ambitious project you've gotten yourself into there...
So far, it looks really nice. It certainly has a lot of potential :thumbsup:

On the designing part: You definitely need to get rid of the outlines and add some texture to it. Maybe select a more yellowish concrete color instead of the neutral grey.

On the conceptual part:
You want it to become a functional power station, right?
Then you could for example make it a 7x7-tile (ideally rotation aware), that sits on land but that has about a 5x7 water texture on it so that it blends in with a stream of water. You would have to set "draw ground" true, then. It would be all about creating the illusion that the dam is actually a part of the stream.
Or you could break it up into smaller tiles maybe 2x2, with centerpieces, that are build on water, and endpieces, that are build on land (this would work similarly to my seawall set, and it would have the advantage that players could make their dam as large as they want). All of these pieces would have to be rotation aware in that case. For the endpieces you would also have to take care that they blend nicely into the ingame shoreline. These endpieces would need "draw ground" as well in order to prevent the ingame seawalls from appearing.
One of the pieces (probably one of the centerpieces) could then probably be made functional so that it actually produces power.
What if I put land tiles below then I put needs water only, would that still be okay? or maybe, the end pieces would be just planted on the water then I'll just add another tile for pathways

And if it is rotation aware, does that mean that I'll be making side and back designs too?

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Platform

Post by mdk_813 »

22Alpha wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 01:00
What if I put land tiles below then I put needs water only, would that still be okay? or maybe, the end pieces would be just planted on the water then I'll just add another tile for pathways

And if it is rotation aware, does that mean that I'll be making side and back designs too?
Yes, rotation aware means that you need to provide four different views (one for each map rotation). I recommend naming them A, B, C and D.
In your graphics program you can usually make a horizontal reflection of your image. This is your second view, but you will have to adjust lights and shadows, because they are now swapped. Then you must create a back view, this is your third view. Finally, you can make another horizontally reflected version of that back view which will be your fourth view. Again, you would have to correct lights and shadows there!
Each of these views need to become an indivual png-file.
(edit: I'm not quite sure, but the more I think about it, the more I suppose you'll need a a right and a left endpiece with four views each!)
But, be aware that you have to provide a counter-clockwise rotation order of these pngs in the "frames" setting of your JSON file.

Tiles with "needs water" only, won't build on land, I think.
I would probably make the endpieces land-tiles and the centerpieces water-tiles.
The land-tiles will need "draw ground":true to prevent the seawalls from being built. But still, you will have to make them blend in with the ingame shoreline texture. You don't need to set "needs land" or "needs water" here because being built on land is the default.
The water-tiles, however, need two settings to be built on water: "needs water":true and "needs land":false. If you want to make use of the ingame water texture set "draw ground":true as well. But you can still add some water spray in your texture then that will be drawn over the ingame texture.
Last edited by mdk_813 on 28 Oct 2017, 02:25, edited 2 times in total.

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Platform

Post by mdk_813 »

The circled parts are more or less those which you need to work on (and for which you need to create the rotational views).

Remember that you will need to create seamless transitions between the tiles.
Attachments
file.png
file.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 13350 times

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

former member wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 15:45
I recommend paint.net. Many useful features, and really easy to use. Easier than for example Gimp or Photoshop.
But if you have Windows then even in the default MS Paint you can create good graphics if you use proper tools.
Hey! Paint.net was a very helpful recommendation! Thank you very much! Even on starting to familiarize the software, it feels comfortable to use.

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

mdk_813 wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 02:20
The circled parts are more or less those which you need to work on (and for which you need to create the rotational views).

Remember that you will need to create seamless transitions between the tiles.
I'll see what I can do to make the designs work out. Thank you!

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Re: Hydroelectric Power Plant (The Process)

Post by 22Alpha »

Here is the process of the revision of the skeletal design of my hydro power plant project.

1. It is gray for color foundation and shadings, also it is a concrete default. Color changes would be open as soon as I finish it.
2. I'll put tile lands on both ends of the establishment areas only (partly land so that it would blend)
3. 6x6 Power Plant
4. Hydroelectric Power Plant/ based and inspiration from a developing country (Guess which country)
5. I'm Batman
6. What are my superpowers? I'm Rich.
Process.png
Process.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 13329 times
It will be finished probably, tonight. The only thing left for me is to figure out the .json file for rotation purposes. Thank you for your patience.

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

Does anyone have the default land at water .png? Or I'm just missing a thread which has it already? Thank you!

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

KoalaGuy wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 11:10
I live near a big hydroelectric power plant, it was shown how it works on TV yesterday :bc
How does it feel to be living nearby a hydro power plant? Was it noisy? Do you get flooded when heavy rains occur? Does it make any effect on you and your residential area?

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Platform

Post by mdk_813 »

22Alpha wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 10:01
Does anyone have the default land at water .png? Or I'm just missing a thread which has it already? Thank you!
You should ask Lobby, if he can give you the textures for the water and the shoreline.

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

Alright, here is my update regarding the dam. I do not know what's missing and where to put it. I do not know also where to put the shoreline, land, and water (if needed and necessary). The shadows... I just flip the design that is why it is facing probably the wrong way.

The .json file, I have no idea what to put yet, besides the common. I do not understand fully yet also the frame rotation part

If anyone would want to rework the color, texture and shadowing, you guys are allowed. I'll be needing help from that to have a better graphic design.

@Lobby here is the latest update on the project.
Attachments
West.png
West.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 13181 times
N-West.png
N-West.png (2.7 KiB) Viewed 13181 times
N-East.png
N-East.png (2.79 KiB) Viewed 13181 times
East.png
East.png (3.32 KiB) Viewed 13181 times
Last edited by 22Alpha on 29 Oct 2017, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

malsa
Inhabitant of a Multiverse
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Platform

Post by malsa »

Don't forget to put a people in there

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

Fireout wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 15:07
Don't forget to put a people in there
I'll probably put 6 people. 3 on each side.

khadafi laidi
Inhabitant of a Planet
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Platform

Post by khadafi laidi »

Amazing :bc and don't forget to put the people. Remember people height is 3 pixel
Color for HYDRO DAM workers:
HEAD-Yellow
BODY-Blue
PANTS-Dark Blue

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Platform

Post by mdk_813 »

22Alpha wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 14:52
Alright, here is my update regarding the dam. I do not know what's missing and where to put it. I do not know also where to put the shoreline, land, and water (if needed and necessary). The shadows... I just flip the design that is why it is facing probably the wrong way.

The .json file, I have no idea what to put yet, besides the common. I do not understand fully yet also the frame rotation part

If anyone would want to rework the color, texture and shadowing, you guys are allowed. I'll be needing help from that to have a better graphic design.

Lobby here is the latest update on the project.
Very good work!
The shadows need to be changed for West.png and N-East.png.
About the shoreline:
Go into the game, create a stream of water and try out different widths for the stream (either 4-tiles and 6-tiles), look where the shore line is positioned, make screenshots and than try to place the shorelines on your plugin in exactly the same position. If you resize the screenshots correctly, you may be able to use them inside your plugin to determine the exact positioning.

22Alpha
Reactions:

Platform

Post by 22Alpha »

mdk_813 wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 15:50
22Alpha wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 14:52

Lobby here is the latest update on the project.
Very good work!
The shadows need to be changed for West.png and N-East.png.
About the shoreline:
Go into the game, create a stream of water and try out different widths for the stream (either 4-tiles and 6-tiles), look where the shore line is positioned, make screenshots and than try to place the shorelines on your plugin in exactly the same position. If you resize the screenshots correctly, you may be able to use them inside your plugin to determine the exact positioning.
In what way should I change the shadows? and the shoreline parts, what I meant when I said I do not know where should I put it is I really do not know where would it be necessary to be put.

The water flow mechanism is probably okay, I do know how it will flow. Only the land parts and shoreline parts because I think this will only need water and not need land.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Supply - Energy, Water, Waste Disposal”