Why?

Here we talk about TheoTown in general.

Personally, how would you like the Branderburg Gate to be implemented?

By a one-time purchase with unlimited building once bought with an IAP, even if its kinda expensive
79%
By what it is now, 50 gems per build
21%

Total votes: 24

BetterBear
Inhabitant of a Galaxy Cluster
Reactions:
Plugins: Show
Version: Beta
Phone model: Have 3, all too long

Why?

Post by BetterBear » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:47

50 gems everytime for building the Brandenburg gate? Why not just an IAP?
BEaRz ArE AmAZiNG. I Am FeElIng SlEepY..

Lobby
Developer
Reactions:
Phone model: S7 edge

Re: Why?

Post by Lobby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:20

Unfortunately, the current model doesn't work well. So this is basically a test (to do it like everyone else, because they're way more successful).

If it is we might do more promotions on the forum.
...Have a nice stay

Wekabu city
Inhabitant of a Conurbation
Reactions:
Phone model: Wiko Sunset 2

Post by Wekabu city » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:47

So, if it is that, I won't update TT anymore.
Version 412 is enough.
Back in Business!

Josh
Graphic designer
Reactions:

Post by Josh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09

Why? You are not forced to place the building
Proud TheoTown player sinds update 1.1.50

Creator of Aldorria, Covinton Empire, West Country, Sunnydale

Save nature, before it kills you🌲

Matt_ds_lasar
Inhabitant of a Megacity
Reactions:

Why? Essay

Post by Matt_ds_lasar » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:48

@Lobby please do not turn TheoTown into a pay to win game. Part of the reason why I fell in love with TheoTown was because you didn't necessarily need to buy anything for diamonds if you didn't want to, unlike most other freemium city builders on the Play Store, where in order to get to the next level in your city, or overall make the game easier to play, you needed a stockpile of the games "gimmick cash" as I like to call it (like Simcash in SimCity Buildit or Megabucks in Megapolis) unless you were a really good player.

I remember thinking to myself how mundane diamonds were once you had a stable income in your city. Sure you do need it to speed up construction time for buildings, but it was a lot more bearable than having to wait day by day or complete accomplishments just to buy one material needed to build a bigger building (*glares at Megapolis).

I understand that you need to make money Lobby, and that you are trying your best running your game while keeping us fans happy ,and that seems like a noble task to me. But it seems that the game is starting to become a money hungry Freemium. Some IAPs like slow time (I think it is) I didn't bother to buy; to me they seemed pointless. But building packages made sense to me as an IAP so I bought them with my diamonds. I think that you should make the IAPs cheaper if you want to go through with them. And how about grouping Kevin Hung's buildings that are in the game into one [affordable] IAP.

If you made it this far, then I salute you, and thank you for reading my essay... Speaking of essays I can't even write a good one at school... Hue Hue Hue.
Last edited by Matt_ds_lasar on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

AwkwrdPrtMskrt
Metropolitan
Reactions:

Post by AwkwrdPrtMskrt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14

I warned you guys, but you all never listen. Look what has become.
:mine Currently working on New Winchester

Pounkiller
Reactions:
Phone model: Huawei Mate 10 Lite

Post by Pounkiller » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:42

@KoalaGuy
I think that this system is necessary for the game to continue... (but that's just my opinion)
Hello people,I'm Turkish and I like foreign languages especially English and I love video games too.
I love City Builders,that's why I am playing this game.
''Si vis pacem,para bellum''.

Pounkiller
Reactions:
Phone model: Huawei Mate 10 Lite

Post by Pounkiller » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:59

Whatever atleast there is a plugin-gin' community...
(guess you're right Koala if we add the future of this game...)
Hello people,I'm Turkish and I like foreign languages especially English and I love video games too.
I love City Builders,that's why I am playing this game.
''Si vis pacem,para bellum''.

A guy from Shireport
Inhabitant of a Universe
Reactions:

Post by A guy from Shireport » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12

I wonder what would happen if Theo react the overprice IAP
"Racers don't need girlfriend, am i right Iketani!" - Itsuki
...Goodbye Stefan, You always be number one 1975-2018
The king of 5000 and 3000 in discord

cesareborgia94
Inhabitant of a Continent
Reactions:
Phone model: Samsung Galaxy 360H

Post by cesareborgia94 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 13:10

To be honest I think IAP would be better suited for the Brandenburg Gate, but I can't argue if Lobby decides to implement this diamond paying system in the game, I still going to play this (thanks to plugin system).

I can provide a solution: ...Waste plugin space by making a Brandenburg Gate plugin,
it is free though would need a different texture to avoid copyright infringement and a talented texture maker
. This solution prevents spending diamonds at the cost of texture space.
I rarely make plugins now, but I still make them in spare time.
Disclaimer Please no request, I'm busy with real life stuff, I hope you understand ;)
You can find me here only. Discord is sh**, sorry JA :(

Bearbear65
Inhabitant of a Universe
Reactions:
Phone model: Xperia™ XZ1 SO-01K

Post by Bearbear65 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 13:13

Damn.... Am I the only one who agrees with this....
ImageJust my opinion
Theotown forum authoritarian

DreamBuilder
Inhabitant of a Megacity
Reactions:

Post by DreamBuilder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 14:34

I'm totally fine with it cuz I'm a very patient player...not like everyone who wants a credit card just for IAPs...
I like pineapple pizza but I don't like pineapple on it

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Post by mdk_813 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 14:48

No sorry, paying over and over again for the same building is a bit too much.
I think this is going into the wrong direction.
My Plugins: Link

PLEASE NOTE: My plugins are not open source! So, ask me first before altering and republishing any of my plugins!

Lobby
Developer
Reactions:
Phone model: S7 edge

Post by Lobby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 16:00

Any suggestions? If development of the game is not sustainable there's no future either.

What I can think of is permanent purchases for real money. After all, you cannot complain about not getting something for free.
...Have a nice stay

AwkwrdPrtMskrt
Metropolitan
Reactions:

Post by AwkwrdPrtMskrt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 16:16

To be honest, while I have objections with high diamond costs, increasing the diamonds rewarded can alleviate the problem.

As for premium content, I can suggest selling packs (packs must contain multiple items, not just a single building) at a lower price (50 diamonds is easy, you get that much every week, so maybe ramp it back to 200~300d, about the cost of each of the two building packs), with the option of paying a large one-time cost (about 2000~3000d) which will unlock all current and future content.

Apart from the usual premium content, you can also introduce "gold editions" of existing premium or special items. For example, a gold version of Karlsruhe. However, the function remains the same, the only difference being the blingy appearance. This can be bought with a higher diamond cost.
:mine Currently working on New Winchester

Pear101
Townsman
Reactions:
Phone model: Huawei P10 lite

Post by Pear101 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 16:56

Actually I think the current system is good, like, we can't pretend to get everithing for free just because we play TT a lot. Playing a lot actually doesn't give money to the developers and money is needed to do things and make the game better. The "basic"premium things like fire station, building, military, weather machine or plaza decorations are easy to get by playing every day the game. I mean, it's not like the gameplay is bad just because you don't have Brandeburg gate or some Hong Kong buildings. So if you wanna get a full game, just pay as for all the other stuff, as game developers do this for work and not for wasting their time. I don't pay cause i'm ok without the 600 diamonds things. If you are not, you should pay as you pay when you buy whatever.
Oh! Hello everyone!
Also, i like ...to breathe

A guy from Shireport
Inhabitant of a Universe
Reactions:

Post by A guy from Shireport » Wed Jan 31, 2018 17:38

former member wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 17:31
Buying all the extras for diamonds doesn't even bring any money to developers. The only place where you pay real money in the game is to buy more diamonds.
How about ads?
"Racers don't need girlfriend, am i right Iketani!" - Itsuki
...Goodbye Stefan, You always be number one 1975-2018
The king of 5000 and 3000 in discord

Pear101
Townsman
Reactions:

Post by Pear101 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 18:14

Well actually the inportant thing for me is: do i get my Diamonds back if i destroy It/ or i build another One for free
Oh! Hello everyone!

JustAnyone
Feature manager
Reactions:
Phone model: Picklephone S5

Post by JustAnyone » Wed Jan 31, 2018 18:17

You get half the price back.

cesareborgia94
Inhabitant of a Continent
Reactions:
Phone model: Samsung Galaxy 360H

Post by cesareborgia94 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 19:41

Maybe someone could fund Lobby on Theotown? If he set up maybe like Patreon maybe a generous person could fund this financial woes. Also just my opinion on solving the financial matter. Otherwise to solve financial problems on this game is:...

1.Current system: Buy diamonds for real money and getting ads.
2.Hardline approach: High priced IAPs, intrusive ads, forcing players to buy diamonds... yes this would alienate certain users but will keep the game afloat for awhile
3.Community funding: Maybe donate to the developer if you have spare cash, sharing is caring, maybe through patreon or paypal?
4.Freemium: Like some suggested a premium feature for real money, it is special for people who truly want to spend blings ...Will also alienate some users as it discriminates between the payers and free gamers.
5.Ridiculous idea: Just make Theotown a payable game at appstore ...Please disagree with me this is a crazy suggestion.
6.Allowing plugin makers to donate plugins for monetization in game, plugins for real money or diamonds for developer (would need agreement of plugin maker).
7.Allowing customization and plugin making will probably reduce the cost. [The best alternative]
8.Reduce updates. Update once in a while.
9.Spread news of Theotown so that many players can join in and hopefully a few generous players can donate to the cause.

Yea I wrote rambling sentence but just my opinion, please don't get mad just because I wrote someting that offends you. Just disagree with what I post here and post your response in a civil way.
I rarely make plugins now, but I still make them in spare time.
Disclaimer Please no request, I'm busy with real life stuff, I hope you understand ;)
You can find me here only. Discord is sh**, sorry JA :(

Pear101
Townsman
Reactions:

Post by Pear101 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 20:30

JustAnyone wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 18:17
You get half the price back.
Well as we are talking about diamonds, Lobby should change this
Oh! Hello everyone!

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Post by mdk_813 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 21:22

@Lobby
I understand that money is important. And I think it is alright to make some buildings premium. But there is a limit to what is acceptable. Paying multiple times for the same thing is beyond that limit. I mean buying something once is alright, paying multiple times is not.

Personally, I would have prefered the original plan of having a free and a premium version. No diamonds no nothing, just plain buying a version that has more content.
But, if you go down the IAP route, as you did, then you shouldn't hand out diamonds for free, or at least not as extensively as you do it right now. No wonder nobodys buying any diamonds, because they can get them practically for free. The diamonds are worthless.
Your answer was to increase prices for new IAPs in very disproportional manner (like some of the new skyscrapers). Now you even want to get paid multiple times for the same thing. This seems unreasonable and you alienate your (potential) customers by doing that.

So, my suggestion would be to set reasonable and balanced prices, not doctoring around with customer-unfriendly measures like having to pay over and over for the same thing, and, improtantly, making the diamonds actually worth something. Get rid of the free-diamonds and make reasonable prices for IAPs.
My Plugins: Link

PLEASE NOTE: My plugins are not open source! So, ask me first before altering and republishing any of my plugins!

Kevin hung
Inhabitant of a Megacity
Reactions:

Post by Kevin hung » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:10

what is going on......
Proud to be Hong Konger ( • ̀ω•́ )
:fire :fire :fire :fire :fire :fire :fire

KINGTUT10101
1,000,000 inhabitants
Reactions:
Phone model: Moto Z Force Droid

Post by KINGTUT10101 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:21

I would definitely pay real money for IAPs, but only if they were reasonably priced and if they weren't just me paying for a single building. Like I said in the other post, I think paying for a medium to large package of content feels more justified than buying a ton of single building IAPs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Game Discussion”