Here we talk about TheoTown in general.
SpaceTimeAgency
Townsman
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store

Platform

Open Source ?

Post by SpaceTimeAgency »

Is This Game Open Source If It Isint It Would Be Nice If It Was So People Could Make Mods For This Game

Lobby
Developer
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Platform

Post by Lobby »

Mods for a mobile game? Hard to believe that such a thing really exists... For now I cannot promise anything, but as open source means no profit it's unlikely that the whole game might become open source.

SpaceTimeAgency
Townsman
Reactions:

Platform

Lobby wrote:Mods for a mobile game? Hard to believe that such a thing really exists... For now I cannot promise anything, but as open source means no profit it's unlikely that the whole game might become open source.
Well I Have Seen Mobile Game That Has Like 1000 Mods From AI's To Vehicles And Trains And Airplanes And Libarys That Expands The Games Language And From Graphics To Music Tracks . And From Challenge Maps To Kinda Sort Of Full Scale Replicals Of Contrys And Even Himalays.
Well That Was Mostly Cause The Game Is 100% Open Source
But I Do Understand What You Are Saying It Would Be Bummer That Devs Woulnt Get Money From It So I Guess That We Are Gonna Stick Whit Good Old Trusty Way.

SpaceTimeAgency
Townsman
Reactions:

Platform

SpaceTimeAgency wrote:
Lobby wrote:Mods for a mobile game? Hard to believe that such a thing really exists... For now I cannot promise anything, but as open source means no profit it's unlikely that the whole game might become open source.
Well I Have Seen Mobile Game That Has Like 1000 Mods From AI's To Vehicles And Trains And Airplanes And Libarys That Expands The Games Language And From Graphics To Music Tracks . And From Challenge Maps To Kinda Sort Of Full Scale Replicals Of Contrys And Even Himalays.
Well That Was Mostly Cause The Game Is 100% Open Source
But I Do Understand What You Are Saying It Would Be Bummer That Devs Woulnt Get Money From It So I Guess That We Are Gonna Stick Whit Good Old Trusty Way.
Well The Game I Am Talking About Is Openttd ...
Its Important To Note That The Game Had Original Pc Version Before 1 Modder Decided To Make Mobile Version Out Of It

pp.amorim
Settler
Reactions:

Post by pp.amorim »

I want to help the development of the game, what do you think about?
My Github: https://github.com/ppamorim
I have full experience with Android develop with Java and iOS with Swift.

alanjds
Settler
Reactions:

Profitable options on opensource

Post by alanjds »

I was playing and realised a bug on one-way roads. Searched for the sources and found no one. I just remember of it to be opensource when I downloaded, and it was one of the reasons to do so. Maybe I confused myself with "free"...

Anyway, I started thinking about ways to make the thing opensourced and profitable:
  • * Custom license. Offer some license that allows just one organisation to commercially publish binary forms of it. Is not real "free software", but at least I can help bugs and study the code.

* Let us buy the code. Name a price and say "when I get this amount in donations sum, the code will be released.

* In-app store. Have a store to sell specific buildings, or unlock visual features, or to disable ads, whatever. And allow people to put stuff on your store, than have a chunk on what sells. If the store is "pluggable", then this part is not opensource but the core game is.

* Custom promo. See what Crossy Road does: it is free, but 3rd party pays to have stuff into in promotional seasons. Disney pays to have Disney on TheoTown, Dominos pays to have its pizza on the commercial areas. Soccer teams to have it to play on the stadiums for a few weeks. Things like that.
Is there a possibility of we to grow this list and you owners agree to opensource it?

Btw, my github is https://github.com/alanjds/ ;)

Strzelec
Villager
Reactions:

Platform

Post by Strzelec »

In-app store. Have a store to sell specific buildings, or unlock visual features, or to disable ads, whatever. And allow people to put stuff on your store, than have a chunk on what sells. If the store is "pluggable", then this part is not opensource but the core game is.
I hope that devs won't make it because in-app purchases are THE WORST THING THAT CAN BE IMPLEMENTED IN GAME.

alanjds
Settler
Reactions:

Post by alanjds »

Strzelec wrote:
In-app store. Have a store to sell specific buildings, or unlock visual features, or to disable ads, whatever. And allow people to put stuff on your store, than have a chunk on what sells. If the store is "pluggable", then this part is not opensource but the core game is.
I hope that devs won't make it because in-app purchases are THE WORST THING THAT CAN BE IMPLEMENTED IN GAME.
Eh... I hate FIFA UT packages and prices, but liked to buy the Halloween expansion of Knights of Pen and Paper via in-app purchases. Just "don't abuse" is on my mind.

Strzelec
Villager
Reactions:

Platform

Post by Strzelec »

You say you liked to buy Halloween expansion... But you won't tell me you prefer that than earning this expansion by playing. I understand that you pay FOR THE WHOLE GAME ( although I download only the free ones), but in-app store makes you pay a lot for just SOME PART OF THE GAME or suffer giant discomfort and severe difficulties (that's why I avoid games with in app store and Theotown is the only city building game in Google Play without this).

alanjds
Settler
Reactions:

Post by alanjds »

Strzelec wrote:You say you liked to buy Halloween expansion... But you won't tell me you prefer that than earning this expansion by playing. I understand that you pay FOR THE WHOLE GAME ( although I download only the free ones), but in-app store makes you pay a lot for just SOME PART OF THE GAME or suffer giant discomfort and severe difficulties (that's why I avoid games with in app store and Theotown is the only city building game in Google Play without this).
I got it, and feel the same pain. However, the "whole game" and "part of it" boundaries are what makes it a great or terrible idea. I like to buy the expansions of Monument Valley in-app, and Horizon Chase. But SimCity, FIFA, Dragon Hills and lot of others are terrible.

What hurts more, in my opinion, is when things got created with in-app as a needed stuff in mind. A community store of pre-approved paid stuff looks nice FOR ME, and anyone can disagree on that. But a food store that you need to check-in every week or starve in the game, this we agree that is an awful gamekiller.

I really like the "buy my code" model here. After some item is bought enough times, it is free for everyone. It worked even on Woodstock ;)

Lobby
Developer
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Platform

Post by Lobby »

We don't know yet whether we include in-App-Purchases or Premium-Version, but OpenSource is not an option for now.

theotheoderich
The Theo in TheoTown
Reactions:

Post by theotheoderich »

Lobby wrote:We don't know yet whether we include in-App-Purchases or Premium-Version, but OpenSource is not an option for now.
I totally agree to Lobby :!:

eersen
Townsman
Reactions:

Platform

Post by eersen »

in-App payments? Oh come on..... Premium version is fine. I like the idea "you pay once" cos it's fair.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Game Discussion”